Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

InsureLearnerDriver | October 17, 2019

Scroll to top


No Comments

Our Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions About Learner Driver Insurance

Our Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
Tina Playle
  • On May 17, 2017

At InsureLearnerDriver, we want to make the process of getting learner insurance, an easy one with minimal complications.

We’ve taken the time to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about our learner driver policies.

These questions are answered in regards to our policies at InsureLearnerDriver, the information displayed on this page may not apply to other insurance companies.


1) What type of insurance do I need to learn in the family car?

At InsureLearnerDriver, we offer a short-term motor insurance, to learner drivers looking to practice in a borrowed car.

Some features that we offer include:

  • Learner Insurance ranging from 1-140 days cover
  • Comprehensive cover that is written in the learner’s name to protect the owners no claim bonus.
  • Covers for cars up to group 28 with a current market value up to £25,000.
  • Documents sent to you via email.

The policy we offer is issued in the name of the learner driver and as a result, will not affect the car owners’ No Claims Bonus in the event of a claim.

You can buy your temporary learner driver insurance online instantly, in 4 simple steps.

Click here for more information about learner insurance in a borrowed car.


2) If you have learner insurance, do you need other insurance as well?

The short term InsureLearnerDriver policy acts as ‘top up’ cover. Which means it’s effective in addition to the insurance already held by the owner of the vehicle. This means it covers the learner driver whilst they are practicing in the vehicle.

To practice in somebody else’s car, that vehicle must remain insured for duration of the InsureLearnerDriver Policy.

To practice in your own car, that is registered in your name, the car does not have to be insured elsewhere.


3) Can I make any changes to my policy half way through?

Unfortunately not. Once payment has been authorised, you are unable to make any changes or alterations to the information you have originally provided.

If you need any further day’s cover, you will need to arrange a new policy for the number of extra days you require.


4) Can I get a refund?

If you cancel your insurance prior to the commencement date of our insurance policy, a full refund of the actual insurance premium will be provided.

For policies issues for a period greater than 28 days and subsequently cancelled within 14 days of commencement of cover, a £79.95 charge is payable.


5) How much will it cost to add a learner driver onto my insurance if they wanted to borrow my car?

Prices can vary depending several factors regarding your individual circumstance.

Based on a learner driver who is 17 years of age, has held a provisional licence for less than 12 months and is looking to be insured on a Toyota Yaris, here are the following prices:

One day: £11.90*

One week: £37.20*

140 days: £237.00*

*The price quoted above is inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) where applicable and an arrangement fee.

For a quick quote that is tailored to you, visit:


6) How does a learner get insurance on someone else’s car for just a day?

A learner can get immediate cover on a borrowed car and pay for it via the InsureLearnerDriver website.

First, you visit our quote page:

Input a few bits of information, including your date of birth, postcode, provisional licence details and your car make/model.

After generating a quote, proceed to select the 1 day option and continue with filling out the further details and confirming your policy. Make sure to read all the information before confirming your policy.

Upon payment, you will be sent your documents electronically and will be insured immediately!


7) Can you drive on your own with a provisional licence with insurance?

No, you must have a qualified driver sitting next to you aged over 25 and holding a full UK, EEA or EU driving licence for a minimum of 3 years.

We have a set criteria for the accompanying driver:

  • Must be a Full Licence holder
  • Must be between 25-72 years of age
  • Must have held a Full UK, EEA or EU Driving Licence for a minimum of 3 years

Accompaniment by a Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) approved driving instructor or a DVSA qualified examiner is also permissible.


8) Do you have to be the owner of the vehicle to accompany a learner driver whilst they’re driving?

No, if you’re practising in a borrowed car, the owner of that car does not have to be present.

However, you will still need someone who meets the criteria of an accompanying driver to be in the passenger seat of the car.


9) If I own my own car, what insurance can I get?

We offer two types of owner learner policies; short term online policies and annual policies.

If you are looking to purchase temporary owner learner driver insurance, you can do so immediately online.

The short term online policies include:

  • From one month to five months cover
  • For learner drivers aged 17-25 years.
  • Cover for cars up to group 28 with a current market value for up to £2,000.
  • Instant comprehensive cover which can be purchased online.
  • Immediate electronic delivery of printable insurance documents.

We can also arrange Annual Learner Driver Policies for Learners who own their own cars.

By taking out an annual policy, you may be able to start earning your no claims bonus before you’ve even passed.

Additionally, if you pass your test during the annual policy period, you can call our young drivers team to discuss what options are available to you – 03303 331 256.

Click here for more information about owner learner driver insurance. 


10) Does my learner insurance cover me after I pass my test?

The InsureLearnerDriver policies are only valid whilst you hold a provisional licence – if you are taking your driving test during the period of cover. We recommend contacting our Young Drivers Team a few days beforehand, so they can assist by informing you of the continued cover options available under a full licence if you pass.

During your driving test

For the actual driving test itself, your insurance with InsureLearnerDriver is valid and covers you for your driving test, if it takes place within the period of cover. The test examiner is then classified as your ‘accompanying driver’.

If you pass the test

If you pass your test, then congratulations! From this point you will no longer be classed as a ‘provisional licence holder’, which is why it’s best to call our young drivers team prior to your test to arrange instant cover.

  • If you purchased a cover period of 7 days or over, the Insurance Company of those policies also covers you for up to 3 hours to drive directly home to your usual home address following your driving test.
  • Policies with a cover period of 1-6 days, do not include this. These policies end immediately after you pass your driving test.


Insurance after passing your test 

Sky Insurance has an excellent Young Drivers Insurance Scheme, which offers several policies to suit newly qualified drivers. These include Black Box & Telematics policies.


Click here to find out more and sign up to receive a free guide.

Click here to check out more of our FAQs 

Click here to get a quote today 


If you have any further questions or would like to speak with us, phone  01707 624 785* or email: [email protected]


*This telephone service is only available between 9:00am – 6:00pm Weekdays and 9:00am – 1:00pm on Saturdays, excluding public and bank holidays.

Submit a Comment