Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

InsureLearnerDriver | May 21, 2019

Scroll to top


No Comments

Your FAQs Answered – Learner Driver Owner Insurance

Your FAQs Answered – Learner Driver Owner Insurance
Tina Playle
  • On May 25, 2017

We are firm believers that practising in your own car as a provisional licence holder is hugely beneficial. We have tailored our policies to enable you to be free to get as many extra hours practise as possible, in the comfort of your own car.

We’ve taken some time to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about our policies for Learner Drivers who own their cars to help you with any queries you may have about them.


Can I get learner insurance on my own car?  

Yes, we offer two types of Learner Driver Insurance policies for owners;

  • Short term policies – which range from one month (28 days) up to five months (140 days).
  • Annual policies – cover for an entire year as a learner driver.

I’m over 40 – can I get learner insurance on my own car?

Unfortunately not. We only provide Learner Driver Owner policies for those aged between 17-25 year old.

Which cars do you cover on owner policies?

All cars are now rated between groups 1-50 for insurance purposes (some older models may use the old insurance group ratings of 1-20).

The Top Cars for Ages 17-25

For any owner learner policy, we cover cars up to group 28 with a current market value up to £20,000, right hand drive, with no more than 7 seats.

If our Underwriters cannot cover your car, then you will be notified during the quote process.

We do not accept any cars that are modified (including wheel, suspension, bodywork or engine modifications). However, cars modified to cater for a disabled driver or passenger are acceptable.

The car must be owned by the learner driver to be covered under the Learner Owner policies. IF you are borrowing a car to learn in, visit this page. 

Can I get an Learner Owner policy if I’ve had an accident?

Our acceptance criteria for Owner Learner Policies does not accept anyone who have had previous accidents, claims or losses in the past 3 years.

To ensure that you meet our acceptance criteria before enquiring about a quote, please visit our Acceptance Criteria Page.


What are the benefits of an annual learner policy?

An annual Owner Learner Driver Policy has multiple benefits.

It is an excellent opportunity for Learner Drivers to potentially start building their own No Claims Bonus, even before their driving test.

Getting extra practice prior to your driving test in addition to driving lessons is not only cost effective, but will also make you a more experienced driver.

Annual owner driver policies are exclusively arranged through our sister company Sky Insurance.

Click here to find out more about Annual Learner Insurance Policies


Can I get temporary insurance on my own car?

If you don’t feel like committing to an annual Owner Learner Driver Insurance policy, you can always get short-term comprehensive cover.

We offer short term cover that ranges from 1-5 months, which is available for policy holders aged between 17-25.

This type of cover can be purchased online meaning you’d be covered immediately. This may be helpful for cover on your car for during the driving test.

Click here for more information on Temporary Owner Learner Insurance.


Does the accompanying driver need to be insured on the vehicle that is owned by the learner?

No, if the learner owns that car and has a policy with us, the policy is issued in the name of the learner driver and doesn’t need any additional cover.

However, until the learner driver passes their test, a qualifying accompanying driver must be present at all times.

Click here for more information about the accompanying driver. 


If I have an Learner Driver Owner Insurance, am I covered for the driving test?

During your driving test

For the actual driving test itself, your insurance with InsureLearnerDriver is valid and covers you for your driving test, if it takes place within the period of cover. The test examiner is then classified as your ‘accompanying driver’.

After passing your driving test

Since you have purchased an owner learner driver policy, this means you have 3 hours ‘cover’ after passing your driving test to drive straight home. You should enquire about a Young Drivers policy with our parent company Sky Insurance, so you can get on the road as soon as possible.

They can assist by informing you of the continued cover options available under a full licence if you pass. These include Black Box & Telematics policies.


Click here to find out more and sign up to receive a free guide.

Click here for more information on practising in your own car.



If you have any further questions email: [email protected] or check our or FAQs Page. 

Submit a Comment